In Italy, food and culture come together to create unforgettable experiences. Today, we’re taking you on a culinary journey to discover the best of Italy and unveil the Italian lifestyle and culture through one of its most beloved dishes – the tomato pie with basil.
The love affair with this classic pie is undeniable. It’s a perfect blend of sweet and tangy tomatoes, fragrant basil, and gooey melted cheese, all wrapped in a crispy and flaky crust. Making this pie at home is a beautiful way to bring the taste of Italy into your kitchen and enjoy a delicious meal with family and friends.
In this post, we’ll provide you with the ultimate tomato pie with basil recipe that’s easy to follow and perfect for any occasion. I call this tasty pie the “Basilone Pie” in honor of the creator of this version of the dish. So, roll up your sleeves, and let’s get started!
Tomato Pie with Basil: The Recipe
The Recipe for the Tomato Pie with Basil (aka the “Basilone Pie”).
- 1 Pillsbury Doughboy Crust in the Red Box
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Cup of Grated Romano Cheese
- 2-3 Medium Tomatoes Thinly Sliced
- 12 Cloves of Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and place the refrigerated crust in a pie pan.
- Bake the crust in the oven for 5 minutes or until it’s just a little crisp.
- Take the crust out of the oven and cover it with half a cup of shredded mozzarella, a quarter cup of grated Romano cheese, 4 basil leaves, and thinly sliced tomato slices.
- Repeat the same layering process one more time.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining shredded mozzarella and grated Romano cheese, 4 or more basil leaves, and 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise until it becomes a paste.
- Use the paste to cover the last layer of tomatoes.
- If the paste doesn’t completely cover the tomatoes, sprinkle a little shredded mozzarella here and there.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned on top.
And that’s it! Your delicious and flavorful tomato basil pie is ready to be enjoyed.
The History of the Basil Tomato Pie
The basil tomato pie has a long and rich history in Italian cuisine. Originating in the southern region of Italy, it quickly became a staple in Italian kitchens. It soon spread to the rest of the world. The evolution of the tomato basil pie has seen various changes and adaptations. Still, its core ingredients have remained the same – tomatoes, basil, and cheese.
Pairing the Pie with Wine and Other Delights
The best way to enjoy the tomato basil pie is with a red wine. A full-bodied and robust red wine pairs perfectly with the pie flavors and enhance the overall dining experience. Additionally, you can serve the pie with a side salad or a bowl of soup for a complete meal.
The tomato basil pie is a true delight for the senses. Absolutely delicious, healthy, and so satisfying! Its flavors and aromas are unforgettable and make for a perfect meal any time of the day. We hope you’ll try this recipe and embrace the Italian way of life by enjoying this delicious dish at home.