The Italian Lasagna with Besciamella Sauce Recipe
Italian lasagna with besciamella (also known as béchamel in French cuisine) is a classic dish that many people worldwide love. It is made by layering pasta sheets, meat or vegetables, and a creamy white sauce made from butter, flour, and milk. Some variations include cheese and herbs, such as parsley or basil, for added flavor.
Here are a few things to know about lasagna with besciamella sauce:
- Lasagna is a traditional Italian dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. It is thought to have originated in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, where it is still a popular dish today.
- There are many variations of lasagna, including vegetarian lasagna, seafood lasagna, and lasagna made with different types of meat, such as beef, pork, or chicken.
- The ingredients in besciamella sauce: Besciamella sauce is made from a combination of butter, flour, and milk. It is often seasoned with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg to add flavor.
- Serving and storing lasagna: Lasagna is typically served hot and can be garnished with herbs, cheese, or other ingredients. It can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days or frozen later. To reheat, place the lasagna in the oven or microwave until it is heated.
How to make lasagna with besciamella sauce: Making lasagna with besciamella sauce is a multi-step process that involves boiling the pasta, preparing the filling, and making the besciamella sauce. The pasta sheets, filling, and besciamella sauce are then layered in a baking dish and baked in the oven until the lasagna is hot and bubbly.
Makes 8 to 12 servings
- 5 cups Bolognese Sauce
- Fresh Pasta Dough
- One tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 2 cups Besciamella Sauce (below)
Besciamella Sauce Ingredients —makes 2 cups:
- Four tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Six tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Two teaspoons of kosher salt
Besciamella Sauce Preparation
- Place the butter into a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Once melted, whisk in the flour until smooth and continue to cook until the flour turns a light golden color, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm milk over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Slowly pour the milk into the butter-flour mixture, constantly whisking to prevent lumps.
- Simmer, often stirring, until the mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a 9-inch by a 13-inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Heat a large pot of water until boiling. Add salt to season.
- While the water boils vigorously, add one sheet of pasta at a time and cook until it floats to the surface, 10 to 15 seconds.
- Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop further cooking.
- Remove from the water when cool.
The Fun Part: Layering the Pasta Sheets
- Lay pasta sheets out, being careful not to let them touch, on clean, damp kitchen towels.
- Line the bottom of a prepared baking dish with a layer of pasta.
- Spread evenly with 1½ cups of the Bolognese sauce, sprinkle some Parmigiano cheese lightly, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add another layer of pasta, evenly spread 1½ cups of Besciamella sauce on the pasta, sprinkle lightly with cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat layers (you will have three layers of Bolognese sauce and 2 of Besciamella), ending with Bolognese sauce and Parmigiano.
- Bake lasagna in the oven for 10 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 500°F and cook until the lasagna bubbles around the edges and browns on the top, about 5 to 7 minutes more. Do not overcook.
- Allow lasagna to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
In conclusion, lasagna with besciamella (also known as Italian lasagna with béchamel) sauce is a classic Italian dish that will impress any crowd. Whether you’re serving it for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner, this delicious and satisfying meal will surely be a hit.
With its layers of pasta, flavorful filling, and creamy besciamella sauce, this dish is guaranteed to become a new family favorite. So why wait? Gather your ingredients and give this recipe a try today!