Italian cuisine is known for its rich flavors and hearty dishes, but it can be challenging for vegans to find suitable recipes. That’s where Italian vegan cookbooks come in.
These cookbooks offer a variety of plant-based recipes inspired by traditional Italian cuisine, allowing vegans to enjoy the flavors of Italy without sacrificing their dietary preferences.
Don’t have time to read the whole article? Here are our three top picks for the best Italian vegan cookbooks.
Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen
Offering a variety of simple-to-follow Italian vegan recipes complemented by vivid photos, leveraging easily accessible ingredients to craft a delightful assortment of dishes.
Seamlessly blends authenticity with the vibrant flavors of Italy offering a variety of meat-free, egg-free, dairy-free dishes from Italy.
Vegano Italiano: 150 Vegan Recipes from the Italian Table
With 150 easy-to-follow vegan recipes catering to various dietary needs, this cookbook also offers a handy guide to fundamental Italian cooking techniques and ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links. When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.
Things to Consider When Looking for a Vegan Italian Cookbook
When looking for an vegan Italian cookbook, it’s essential to consider the types of recipes included. Some cookbooks focus on classic dishes, such as Italian pasta and pizza, while others offer a broader range of recipes, including soups, salads, and desserts.
It’s also important to consider the level of difficulty of the recipes and whether they require specialized ingredients. Another critical factor to consider when purchasing an Italian vegan cookbook is the author’s credentials.
Look for cookbooks written by experienced chefs or food bloggers with a background in Italian cuisine. This ensures that the recipes are authentic and of high quality.
Planning a trip to Italy? Read our guide 35 Best Travel Guide Books for Italy for a comprehensive insight into Italy’s must-visit spots and travel tips.
Best Italian Vegan Cookbooks
We have scoured the market to bring you the best Italian vegan cookbooks for creating vegan versions of your favorite Italian dishes. From classic pasta dishes to savory soups and stews, these vegan cookbooks offer a variety of options for any taste bud.
We highly recommend Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen for anyone who loves Italian food and wants to try vegan recipes.
- The book offers a wide variety of Italian vegan recipes, including pizzas, pastas, pestos, risottos, and creamy Italian classics.
- The recipes are easy to follow and use simple ingredients that are easy to find at any grocery store.
- The book includes beautiful photos of the dishes, making it easy to see what the final product should look like.
- Some of the recipes require a bit of prep work, so they may not be ideal for those who want to make a quick meal.
- The book does not include nutritional information for the recipes.
- Some of the recipes may not appeal to those who are not fans of Italian cuisine.
Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen is a great cookbook for anyone who wants to try vegan Italian recipes. The book offers a wide variety of vegan recipes, including pizzas, pastas, pestos, risottos, and creamy Italian classics.
The recipes are easy to follow and use simple ingredients that are easy to find at any grocery store. The book includes beautiful photos of the dishes, making it easy to see what the final product should look like.
One potential downside of this cookbook is that some of the recipes require a bit of prep work, so they may not be ideal for those who want to make a quick meal. Additionally, the book does not include nutritional information for the recipes, which may be a drawback for some.
Overall, we highly recommend Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen to anyone who loves Italian food and wants to try vegan recipes. The book offers a wide variety of delicious recipes that are easy to follow and use simple ingredients.
If you’re looking for a vegan cookbook with delicious Italian recipes, The Plantpower Way: Italia: Delicious Vegan Recipes from the Italian Countryside is a great option to consider.
- Beautiful hardcover book with stunning photography
- Simple ingredients and methods for flavorful dishes
- Provides vegan options for traditional Italian recipes
- Some readers felt there was too much focus on the authors’ personal lives
- Measurements may need to be converted for non-US readers
- Some recipes may require hard-to-find ingredients
We recently tried out The Plantpower Way: Italia and were impressed with the variety of vegan Italian recipes provided. The hardcover book itself is beautiful, with stunning photography throughout. The recipes themselves are easy to follow, with simple ingredients and methods that still result in flavorful dishes.
One of the standout features of this cookbook is that it provides vegan options for traditional Italian dishes, allowing those with dietary restrictions to still enjoy the flavors of Italy. However, some readers felt that there was too much focus on the authors’ personal lives and not enough on the food itself.
It’s also worth noting that some measurements may need to be converted for non-US readers, and some recipes may require hard-to-find ingredients. However, overall we found The Plantpower Way: Italia to be a great addition to any vegan cookbook collection.
We highly recommend The Vegan Pasta Cookbook for those seeking scrumptious Italian vegan pasta dishes, a true treasure for pasta enthusiasts.
- Wide variety of pasta-based vegan recipes
- Beautiful pictures that make the recipes look delicious
- Approachable and full of flavor recipes
- No recipes for making actual pasta
- Limited number of recipes
- Some recipes may require hard-to-find ingredients
This cookbook features 13 amazing recipes that really stand out, such as the Mediterranean Pasta Salad and the Spinach and Artichoke Pasta Bake. The mac & cheese section is also a must-try. The recipes are easy to follow and truly delicious, making it a great resource for those who want to prepare vegan Italian dishes.
One downside is that the cookbook doesn’t include recipes for making actual pasta. Additionally, some of the recipes may require hard-to-find ingredients. However, the cookbook makes up for these minor drawbacks with its beautiful pictures and approachable recipes.
Overall, The Vegan Pasta Cookbook is a great addition to any vegan cookbook assortment, especially for those passionate about pasta dishes.
If you’re looking for a vegan cookbook that offers authentic Italian recipes, then Vegano Italiano might be the right choice for you.
- The cookbook contains 150 vegan recipes that are easy to follow and delicious.
- The author provides a variety of recipes that cater to different dietary needs and taste preferences.
- The cookbook includes a section on basic techniques and ingredients that are commonly used in Italian cooking.
- The photos in the cookbook might not be very appetizing.
- Some recipes call for a lot of oil, which might not be suitable for those who are watching their fat intake.
- The author could have provided more explanations on how to make basic vegan ingredients like cheese and cream.
The recipes in Vegano Italiano are extremely authentic and easy to follow. The author provides a variety of recipes that cater to different dietary needs and taste preferences. Whether you’re looking for appetizers, pasta dishes, or desserts, this cookbook has got you covered.
One thing to note is that some of the photos in the cookbook might not be very appetizing. However, don’t let that discourage you from trying out the recipes. The food is delicious, and you might be surprised at how good it tastes.
Another thing to keep in mind is that some recipes call for a lot of oil, which might not be suitable for those who are watching their fat intake. However, if you’re not too concerned about that, then you’ll enjoy the authentic Italian flavors that come with using olive oil in your cooking.
Overall, Vegano Italiano is a great cookbook for anyone who loves Italian food and wants to try out vegan recipes. The author knows authentic Italian cooking, and it shows in the recipes she provides. Give it a try and see for yourself!
If you’re on the hunt for a vegan cookbook that seamlessly blends authenticity with the vibrant flavors of Italy, this vegan Italian cookbook could be your perfect match.
- Offers a genuine taste of classic Italian cuisine, retaining authenticity in vegan dishes.
- Caters to a wide array of dietary preferences including lactose-intolerant and vegetarian individuals.
- Focuses on wholesome and fresh ingredients, promoting a healthy and nourishing dietary choice.
- May not cater to readers who prefer recipes that incorporate popular vegan substitutes like tofu or soy milk.
- Could potentially limit the variety of dishes for those accustomed to meat, dairy, and egg mimicking ingredients in vegan recipes.
- The book might not fully satisfy those seeking innovative or fusion vegan Italian dishes, as it leans heavily on traditional preparations.
Embracing the rich essence of traditional Italian gastronomy, this compilation presents vegan cuisine in a refreshingly authentic light.
The enticing array of dishes are characterized by the generous use of fresh fruits, wholesome grains, vibrant vegetables, nuts, and beneficial fats like olive oil, all the while adhering to a vegan diet that also caters to lactose-intolerant individuals and vegetarians alike.
What sets this collection apart is its commitment to maintaining the authenticity and richness of Italian cuisine, sidestepping the usual reliance on substitutions like tofu or soy milk, often used to replicate meat, dairy, and eggs.
This approach ensures that readers can indulge in a truly delightful culinary experience, capturing the essence of sun-drenched Italy even without a visit in the near future.
We highly recommend Vegan Pasta Night: A Modern Guide to Italian-Style Cooking for anyone in search of another pasta-focused Italian vegan book brimming with delightful pasta recipes.
- Beautiful photography that makes you want to try every recipe
- Recipes for homemade vegan cheeses, including ricotta and burrata
- Variety of pasta dishes and accompaniments
- Some recipes require more time and effort than others
- Not exclusively focused on homemade pasta
- Pages may become loose after opening the book
We were drawn to this book by the stunning photography and were not disappointed by the recipes. Vegan Pasta Night offers a variety of pasta dishes and accompaniments, including recipes for homemade vegan cheeses. While some recipes require more time and effort than others, the end result is always worth it.
One downside is that the book is not exclusively focused on homemade pasta, which may disappoint some readers. Additionally, some pages may become loose after opening the book. However, these minor issues do not detract from the overall quality of the cookbook.
In summary, Vegan Pasta Night is a must-have for pasta lovers seeking to enrich their collection with delightful Italian vegan pasta recipes.
We highly recommend purchasing the Accidentally Vegan Italian Pasta cookbook if you’re looking for authentic and delicious Italian pasta dishes that are always vegan.
- The 26 pasta recipes are authentic and delicious, with clear instructions that are easy to follow.
- Avoids the use of artificial and processed vegan substitutes, encouraging a healthier approach.
- Celebrates centuries-old vegan pasta creations, offering a rich and historically grounded culinary experience.
- May not offer much variety for those seeking innovative, modern vegan recipes.
- Lack of recipes utilizing popular vegan substitutes might not appeal to all vegan readers.
In the latest gem from the much-acclaimed Accidentally Vegan series, Accidentally Vegan Italian Pasta emerges as a beacon for not only vegans but also vegetarians and culinary enthusiasts alike.
It appears that the creators have taken a delightful turn, focusing keenly on presenting Italian culinary delights that shun the usual compromises seen in modern vegan cookbooks.
There’s a refreshing absence of the dependence on dairy or meat substitutes in these recipes, bringing a breath of fresh air to vegan cuisine.
What stands out is the authenticity that permeates each recipe. You won’t find a hint of soy or cashew cheeses, artificial egg concoctions, or fabricated meat substitutes here.
Instead, prepare to embark on a culinary journey that honors the true essence and savory traditions of Italian cuisine, all the while maintaining a vegan approach.
This book serves as a vibrant testimony to the harmonious blend of tradition and modern dietary choices, promising readers an unforgettable gastronomic adventure.
If you’re looking for a vegan Italian cookbook, The Vegan Italian Cookbook by Caterina Milano is a great choice.
- The cookbook offers a wide range of plant-based Italian recipes, including appetizers, sandwiches, main courses, pastas, breads, and desserts.
- The book provides historical information about Italian cuisine, which is a nice touch for those interested in the culture.
- The recipes are easy to follow and use simple ingredients.
- Some of the recipes may be too complex for beginners.
- Some reviewers noted that the book focused more on baking recipes rather than savory dishes.
We enjoyed using The Vegan Italian Cookbook and found the recipes to be delicious and easy to make. The historical information provided in the book was also a nice touch and added to the overall experience.
The appetizers and main courses were our favorite sections, with the veggie lasagna and lentil Bolognese being standouts. The desserts were also tasty, especially the almond biscotti.
Overall, we recommend The Vegan Italian Cookbook for anyone looking for delicious and easy-to-follow plant-based Italian recipes.
We strongly advocate acquiring this cookbook for anyone fond of Italian soups and eager to explore vegan renditions of traditional dishes.
- The recipes are simple and easy to follow.
- The book contains 30 different soup recipes, offering a wide variety of options.
- The cookbook is compact and lightweight, making it easy to take with you on the go.
- Some readers may find the book’s 79 pages to be too short.
- The book only includes soup recipes and does not offer other Italian vegan dishes.
- The paper quality could be improved.
Accidentally Vegan Italian Soups offers a unique take on classic Italian soups, providing delicious vegan versions of 30 soup recipes. The cookbook is easy to follow and offers a wide variety of options for those looking to try something new.
Each recipe is based on a simple Italian trio of onions, carrots, and celery, making it easy to recreate these dishes at home. The book also provides both measured-out versions of ingredients and canned amounts for those who don’t have time to make everything from scratch.
Overall, we highly recommend Accidentally Vegan Italian Soups for anyone looking to try new Italian-style vegan soup recipes.
If you’re looking for a cookbook that offers modern versions of Italian salads that are always vegan, then Accidentally Vegan Italian Salads is worth checking out.
- Offers a rich variety of authentic vegan Italian salad recipes, providing a genuine culinary experience.
- Features vivid, full-color photographs to complement each recipe, enhancing the visual appeal and guidance.
- Thoughtfully segmented into different levels of difficulty, catering to both beginners and experienced cooks alike.
- The inclusion of non-Italian salads in a book focused on Italian salads might seem off-focus to purists.
- Limited introduction section might leave readers desiring more background information or discussion.
- The emphasis on traditional recipes might not appeal to those seeking modern or innovative vegan twists on salads.
In the splendid second installment of the Accidentally Vegan series, the Accidentally Vegan Italian Salads book emerges as a haven for salad enthusiasts keen on exploring Italian vegan delicacies.
The book gracefully kicks off with a concise introduction that encompasses a dialogue on salad dressings, beans, and invaluable pointers on making the most of the book.
What follows is a rich tapestry of 32 recipes, each accompanied by vibrant full-color photographs, showcasing inherently vegan Italian salads—no need for meat or dairy alterations here, these salads celebrate their vegan essence without modifications.
The recipe collection is smartly segmented into three primary categories, each differing in the complexity of preparation. Yet, rest assured, none of the dishes pose a significant challenge, inviting both novices and seasoned cooks to try their hand.
Among the featured salads, you’ll find classics like panzanella, patate prezzemolate, insalata alla polentona, and several others, totaling 32 authentic dishes.
Moreover, the author generously includes three additional bonus salads, which, although not strictly adhering to the Italian origin criteria, were too delectable to be left out on mere technicalities.
Your culinary journey through Italian vegan salads awaits, bon appétit!
When it comes to choosing the best Italian vegan cookbook, there are a few key features to consider. Here are four factors to keep in mind as you make your selection:
1. Recipe Variety
A good Italian vegan cookbook should have a wide variety of recipes that cover different types of dishes, such as appetizers, entrees, and desserts. It should also include recipes that feature a range of ingredients, from common vegetables to more unique items like vegan cheese and meat substitutes.
2. Ease of Use
Look for a cookbook that is easy to navigate and use. This might include features like clear recipe instructions, helpful photos, and a well-organized table of contents.
3. Nutritional Information
If you’re looking to maintain a balanced diet, consider choosing a cookbook that includes nutritional information for each recipe. This can help you make informed decisions about what you’re eating and ensure that you’re getting the nutrients you need.
4. Additional Features
Some Italian vegan cookbooks may include additional features, such as tips for cooking with specific ingredients or suggestions for meal planning. Consider whether these features are important to you as you make your selection.
Suggested Read: 100 Most Interesting Italian Food Facts You’ll Love
Overall, the best Italian vegan cookbook for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs. By considering these factors, you can choose a cookbook that will help you create delicious and healthy vegan meals with an Italian twist.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the best Italian vegan cookbooks available?
There are several Italian vegan cookbooks available, but some of the best ones are:
- Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen: 150 Pizzas, Pastas, Pestos, Risottos, & Lots of Creamy Italian Classics.
- Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy by Donna Klein.
- Vegano Italiano: 150 Vegan Recipes from the Italian Table by Rosalba Gioffré.
What are some popular Italian vegan cake recipes?
Some popular Italian vegan cake recipes include:
- Tiramisu cake
- Chocolate hazelnut cake
- Lemon olive oil cake
- Almond cake
- Orange and polenta cake
What are some Italian vegan recipes that use olive oil?
Olive oil is a staple in Italian cuisine, and there are many vegan recipes that use it, such as:
- Bruschetta with tomato and basil
- Pasta with garlic and olive oil
- Caprese salad with vegan mozzarella
- Eggplant parmesan
- Vegan pesto sauce
What are some Italian vegan pasta dishes?
Some Italian vegan pasta dishes include:
- Spaghetti aglio e olio
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Penne arrabbiata
- Pasta e fagioli
What are some Italian vegan appetizers?
Some Italian vegan appetizers include:
- Arancini (rice balls)
- Crostini with roasted vegetables
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Vegan antipasto platter
- Bruschetta with vegan cheese and olives
What are some Italian vegan desserts?
Some Italian vegan desserts include:
- Gelato (made with coconut milk or soy milk)
- Tiramisu (made with vegan mascarpone and ladyfingers)
- Cannoli (filled with vegan ricotta)
- Panna cotta (made with coconut milk or almond milk)
- Biscotti (made with almond flour and vegan butter)
Before You Go…
Unearth more of Italy’s best-kept secrets in our must-read guide on the 43 Best Italian Kitchen Brands – a haven of design and elite style awaits!