In this guide, we’ll provide helpful tips and advice on what to wear to a wedding in Italy, including dress codes, outfit ideas, and frequently asked questions.
Whether you’re a wedding guest attending a summer wedding on the Amalfi Coast or a formal wedding in Rome, we’ve got you covered.
As the best friend of a bride or groom, attending a wedding in Italy is a unique and exciting experience. However, figuring out what to wear can be the last thing on your mind.
To embody the Italian style, take inspiration from the chic Italian wedding dress code, paying close attention to the details to adhere to the rules.
Italian Wedding Dress Code Rules
Italian weddings are known for their elegant and formal dress code. “La bella figura” is an important concept in Italian culture, meaning “the beautiful figure,” which emphasizes the importance of dressing well for formal occasions.
Recommended Reading: Immerse yourself in the enchanting Italian culture and lifestyle by exploring la bella figura – the art of presenting oneself beautifully to the world.
When it comes to Italian dress code, there are several different options for Italian weddings, including:
- Formal attire: This dress code is the most traditional and elegant option. Men should wear a dark suit and tie, while women should wear a long dress or a formal suit.
- Creative black tie: This dress code allows for more creativity and relies on a more personal style. Men can wear a black suit with a colorful tie, while women can wear a formal dress in a bright color or pattern.
- Beach formal: This dress code is appropriate for beach weddings and allows for lighter fabrics and colors. Men can wear a light-colored suit, sports jacket, and pants, while women can wear a sundress or formal jumpsuit.
What Should a Woman Wear to an Italian Wedding?
For women, the right outfit also depends on the dress code and the time of day. Here are some tips for what to wear to an Italian wedding for women:
- Formal occasions: For formal weddings, women should wear a long dress or a formal suit. Opt for classic colors like black, navy, or red, and pair them with dress shoes and simple jewelry.
- Creative black tie: Women can experiment with color and pattern for creative black tie weddings. Try a bright-colored dress or a patterned suit, and accessorize with statement jewelry and a bold clutch.
- Beach formal: Women can wear lighter fabrics and colors for beach weddings. Try a flowy sundress in a pastel color or a jumpsuit with a bold pattern. Don’t forget comfortable shoes, as beach weddings often involve walking on sand.
Dating an Italian man? Explore the joys and challenges of dating Italian men, from their passionate personalities and stylish sense of fashion to their fiery tempers and overprotectiveness.
What Should a Man Wear to an Italian Wedding?
For men, the right outfit depends on the dress code and the time of day. Here are some tips for what to wear to an Italian wedding for men:
- Formal events: Men should wear a dark suit and tie for formal weddings. Opt for a classic style, such as a navy blue or charcoal suit, and pair it with a crisp white shirt and black dress shoes.
- Creative black tie: Men can add color or pattern to their outfits for creative black tie weddings. Try a black suit with a bold bow tie, pocket square, or a colorful sports jacket with dress pants.
- Beach formal: Men can choose lighter colors and fabrics for beach weddings. Try a light-colored suit jacket with dress pants or a linen blue shirt with chinos. Don’t forget comfortable shoes, as beach weddings often involve walking on sand.
How Time of the Year and Time of Day Affect What to Wear to an Italian Wedding
The time of year and time of day can also affect what guests should wear to Italian weddings. Here are some tips:
Spring and Summer Wedding
Light colors and fabrics are recommended for summer weddings to stay cool in the heat. Men can opt for a light-colored suit or a sports jacket with dress pants, while women can wear a sundress or a jumpsuit in a pastel color.
Fall and Winter Wedding
For winter weddings, dark colors and heavier fabrics are appropriate to stay warm. Men can wear a dark suit and tie, while women can wear a long dress or a formal suit in a darker color.
Can’t decide when to visit Italy? Explore our essential weather-centric monthly travel guides.
- Weather in Italy in January
- Weather in Italy in February
- Weather in Italy in March
- Weather in Italy in April
- Weather in Italy in May
- Weather in Italy in June
- Weather in Italy in July
- Weather in Italy in August
- Weather in Italy in September
- Weather in Italy in October
- Weather in Italy in November
- Weather in Italy in December
Time of Day
Darker colors and more formal attire are recommended for evening weddings. Men should wear a dark suit and tie, while women can wear a long dress or a formal suit. For daytime weddings, lighter colors and less formal attire are appropriate.
Wedding Attire for Specific Types of Italian Weddings
Different types of Italian weddings may require different attire. Here are some tips for what to wear to specific types of weddings:
- Destination Wedding: For destination weddings, consider the location and climate. If it’s a tropical destination, opt for lighter fabrics and colors. Opt for darker colors and heavier fabrics if it’s a cooler climate.
- Formal Wedding: For formal weddings, dress to impress. Men should wear a dark suit and tie, while women can wear a long dress or a formal suit.
- Beach Wedding: Dressy sandals or flats are a good choice for beach weddings. Avoid high heels, as they may sink into the sand. Men can wear a linen suit or a sports jacket with dress pants.
What to Wear to a Wedding in Italy: FAQ
Here are some answers to common questions about what to wear to Italian weddings.
What should you not wear to an Italian wedding?
Avoid wearing white, as this is the color reserved for the bride. Also, avoid wearing anything too revealing or too casual. At the same time, watch for the type of jewelry you’re wearing.
According to tradition, it is believed to be bad luck for the bride to wear any gold on her wedding day except her wedding ring.
A good rule of thumb for guests is to avoid going overboard with gold jewelry or accessories, as it may be perceived as disrespectful to the bride on her special occasion. It’s always best to err on the side of caution and stick to more subdued or neutral colors and accessories.
Is it appropriate to wear black to a wedding in Italy?
In Italian culture, black is traditionally the color of mourning; therefore, wearing black to a wedding is generally not considered appropriate.
While wearing black to an afternoon wedding is generally not advised, it may be more acceptable for an evening event that will continue into the night with food, drinks, and dancing.
Ultimately, it’s important to respect the Italian wedding dress code and consider the time of day and formality of the event when choosing what to wear.
What do I wear to an outdoor Italian wedding?
For outdoor Italian weddings, consider the location and climate. Dressy sandals or flats are a good choice for women, while men can wear a linen suit or a sports jacket with dress pants.
Can a female guest wear a suit to an Italian wedding?
Yes, it’s ok for a female guest to wear a suit to a wedding in Italy. Opt for a formal suit in a classic color, such as black or navy, and pair it with dress shoes and simple jewelry.
What is the appropriate Italy wedding guest dress code for various seasons and settings?
Formal Occasions: When attending a formal wedding in Italy, ladies might consider wearing a floor-length gown or a chic suit in timeless colors such as black, navy, or red. On the other hand, gentlemen should opt for a dark-colored suit paired with a tie.
Fall Wedding: In case of a fall wedding in Italy, it’s advisable to choose attire with deep, warm hues like maroon, terra cotta, or forest green. Ladies might select dresses that reach knee-length or extend to the floor, whereas gentlemen can pair their suits with ties that harmonize with their outfit’s color scheme.
Winter Wedding: During a winter wedding in Italy, females can opt for a refined look with a long gown or business suit in dark, elegant shades like navy or black. Males should complement this with a dark, formal suit and tie.
Informal Wedding Event: For more relaxed ceremonies, ladies have the option of wearing dresses or skirts of shorter lengths, paired with matching blouses. Men can consider wearing tailored trousers or chinos paired with a neat, uncomplicated shirt.
Casual Setting: In laid-back or casual settings such as gardens, beaches, or farm ceremonies, women might consider flowy maxi dresses paired with comfortable wedges. Meanwhile, men can opt for a relaxed yet polished look with suit trousers or chinos accompanied by a casual shirt.
Dreaming of a wedding in Venice? Discover 15 of the most captivating wedding venues in Venice in our comprehensive guide.
Attending a Wedding in Italy: a Wonderful Experience
Attending a wedding in Italy is a wonderful experience, and dressing appropriately is key to respecting Italian traditions and culture.
Remember to pay close attention to the dress code, the time of day, and the location, and always opt for classic styles and colors. By following these tips and guidelines, you’ll be sure to look your best and enjoy the celebration in style.
Look no further than Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker‘s lavish wedding party in Italy for a glimpse of what an Italian wedding could be. A quick Google search will reveal their stunning attire and the perfect inspiration for your stylish and unforgettable wedding guest look.
Without further ado, it’s time to start planning what to wear to a wedding in Italy and packing your bags for Italy’s most beautiful places. Don’t forget to enjoy “la dolce vita” and take in all Italy offers, from the food and wine to the culture and people.