If you’re looking to learn how to cook pasta like an Italian, there are a few essential steps you need to take.
- Begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add the desired amount of pasta to the boiling water and stir.
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente (tender but still slightly firm).
- Drain the pasta in a colander and reserve a cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pot and add the desired seasonings, such as garlic, herbs, and spices.
- Drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil and add a ladleful of the cooking liquid.
- Cook the pasta over low heat, stirring often, until the flavors are well blended and the sauce is creamy.
- Serve the pasta with a sprinkle of freshly grated cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino. Buon appetito!
Simon and Penny, two friends and LearnItalianPod VIP subscribers, have just returned from a fantastic trip to Italy. Simon says: “Thanks to your lessons, which had covered so many situations and given us such a grasp of the Italian language, we had a fantastic time: making an effort to speak Italian has transformed the holiday experience.”
They go on. “We have one request for a podcast though. You have covered eating out many times, but we bet many of your listeners are also keen cooks. How about a lesson about how to cook pasta like an Italian?” – What a terrific suggestion, Simon. So today, let’s learn the “golden rules” for cooking the national dish of Italy… pasta. Uh, we almost forgot… buon appetito!